For this project, I want to create a space that is similar to a section of the ocean. I imagine this is a garden porch where you could sit down and relax. To make the floor bed, I will be making panels out of a prototype material with shapes and colors that mimic the ocean floor and stack them one on top of another. A column will then be added to every corner of the floor as the pole to hold the lights. With the setup finished, I will install the circuit for this space.
Materials and Equipment:
- The base of the floor bed:
- Elmer’s glue
- Exacto knife
- Wooden sticks
- Titanium white acrylic
- Iridescent white acrylic
- Cyan blue acrylic
- Cup of water to wash brushes
- Light circuit:
- 4 small blue LED light bulbs
- 1 coin cell battery (3V)
- Copper foil tape
- Plastic tape
The base of the floor bed:
- Step 1: I free handed the shapes of the panels on a piece of cardboard and cut them out with an exactor knife.
- Step 2: I stacked these cardboard panels on top of each other and made minor cuts for the desired model. Then, with Elmer’s glue, I stuck these panels layer by layer, the bottom one first and waited until they were fully dried.
- Step 3: I cut the wooden stick into 4 six-inch sections. With the same knife, I marked on the model the location of the sticks, tested them and took the sticks out.
- Step 4: I painted the whole model with titanium white acrylic as the base to make sure the actual colors that would later be painted transfers more pigmented.
- Step 5: After the base dried, I painted the higher layer first with iridescent white and gradually added cyan blue to the paint as I moved down to lower layers.
- Step 6: I dipped the wooden poles in glue, stuck them in place, and waited for them to dry.
- Step 7: For each pole, I used copper foil tape to cover two of its sides, making sure that each side’s copper tape didn’t touch the other along the poles and on the tip.
- Step 8: The two sides of copper tapes were wired underneath the model and joined others at two points (negative and positive) located at one side of the model, where the battery would be placed.
- The “wiring” was done as neatly as possible with the least amount of disconnection to maximize successful rate.
- Whenever a tape had to cross over another to reach its destination, a piece of plastic tape would be put in between in order to not mess up the flow of the electricity.
- Step 9: The LED lights were then installed. I secured the touching points of the lights with copper tape and another round of plastic tape finally.
- Light bulbs were tested individually for efficiency before being installed on the model.
- Light bulbs were tested in the circuit individually and all together for efficiency before being installed on the model.