This course will introduce students to the building blocks of creative computing within a visual and media environment. Students will learn to create dynamic images, type and interfaces, that can translate into print, web, and other spatial forms. Through weekly topics, students will learn programming fundamentals that translate to virtually all programming languages and that will later be paired with various other platforms for creative input and output.
We’ll be investigating the space between analog and digital making, asking questions about the impact our methods have on our outcomes, and gaining an understanding of how this space is having an impact on design today.
By the successful completion of this course, students will be able, at an introductory level, to:
- Understand the underlying concepts of logic, procedure, and objects as they apply to computer code and design.
- Use code structures to express visual, multimedia, and interactive ideas.
- With a working knowledge of syntax and structure in the Processing environment, build a foundation in programming that can be applied to other languages, forms, and physical spaces.
- Prototype your own ideas in traditional and code based forms and be able to comfortably collaborate with other designers and developers in digital media.
- Illustrate ability to use code in the design process in a meaningful way.
- Render interaction on screen or in physical form, using electronic circuitry and embedded computing.
Recommended Reading & Resources
- Laser Cutting
- 3D Printing
- Circuit Design
Materials and Supplies
- Acrylic Sheets approximately $10-$20 depends on the choice of specific material. You can purchase this online or at Canal Plastic. If you are using these for laser cutting, please check with school’s laser cutting lab to use the appropriate materials.
- Wood Panel approximately $5 – $10. You can purchase it in Utrecht or most of the art stores.
- 3D printing approximately $10. We will be printing from the Making Center at The New School.
- Copper Foil Tape $5.95
- Regular LED (25) Pack $6.95
- 3V Coin Cell Battery $0.95 X2
- Light Sensor Board $8 (Optional)
- RGB Led Boards $5 per 2 (Optional)
- Battery Holder Board $3 (Optional)
Small Alligator Clip Test Lead (Set of 12) $3.95 (Optional)